Saturday, December 17, 2011

OSRIC Rules!

I just discovered OSRIC.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you already know about it, it's old news. 

For others, like me who are not familiar with it, OSRIC stands for "Old School Reference & Index Compilation".

Essentially, it's like open source Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition.  I LOVE that.

I have always preferred AD&D 1E at it's most basic.   I've never really gotten into psionics and the classes that came later like barbarians, acrobats, etc.. , stuff like that.

OSRIC seems to have largely read my mind in setting up just such a gaming system.

From recent discussions I have had in DragonsFoot chat room, the general opinion is that one can take published AD&D 1E modules/games and play them under OSRIC rules with little to no real modification.

Now, If you already have a copy of the AD&D books, this isn't a far jump.  As a matter of fact, it's pretty easy whether you have AD&D books or not.

OSRIC makes it's books available online in PDF format for free.  As in, no cost to you.  It's written using the "Open Game License 1.0".  So Like Linux, free beer and free (dom) all in one.

Now, if you're like me, I write a great many of my own games so gaming under OSRIC really doesn't require I do much different than I already do.  Even when I do use published modules, I edit them heavily to fit into my world better,  So again, no biggie for me to make the jump.

I am going to test OSRIC out starting with our next game and see how it all transitions and works out.  If I like it and it works well, I'll adopt it as my default system.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you want to find out more about OSRIC for yourself see the link to the right side of this page where you can read about the system and download the PDF manuals for free.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about buying the 30th Anniversary Premium 1st Edition AD&D books that were released recently, but didn't want to drop a lot of cash on something my kids might not like. I found OSRIC and have been loving it--simply great fun.

    IMO, AD&D got too complicated with the later editions. It was too technical for a relaxed evening of play. OSRIC re-captures the simplicity of my early gaming days. I'm glad to have found it.

    ReplyDelete